Facials. Are they necessary?
Valid question. But, let’s put this question into perspective, shall we?
Your garden gets raked and weeded at least once a week, your furniture gets dusted on a daily basis, your car goes in for regular repairs and maintenance – it gets vacuumed, occasionally waxed, and washed... are you getting the idea?
Your skin is no different. The skin is the body’s largest organ, and it just doesn’t deserve to be treated well and maintained – it needs to. Plus, consider the fact as well that it is your most exposed organ, making it highly vulnerable and susceptible to all kinds of wear and tear and a myriad of environmental insults.
You see, your skin is like your ambassador, it is seen by all. Whether you like it or not, people sometimes judge us by our looks – that’s the truth. And yes, your skin says something about you. Hence, sticking to a good skin care regime and maintenance is essential, however, it can only go so far.
To get prime results in the skincare department, you need to get a regular facial. For best results, let a pro do the job. Yup, getting a facial is a must for great skin care!
To better understand the power of facials for your skin, let us dig deeper on what it can do for you, as well as all the steps that it involves.
What are the benefits of getting a facial?
Facials are aesthetician-administered skin care treatments that enhance the look and health of your skin. It's a wonderful way to rejuvenate the skin and remove its various wear and tear. Think of it as an exercise routine to keep your skin in tiptop shape. Ideally you should have a facial done every 4-8 weeks. Here's why:
Your skin is continuously creating new cells, and because of this, debris and oil get stuck.
On a regular basis, the skin fends off irritation from climatic conditions, harsh products, and airborne chemicals.
Facials help resurface good skin texture and stimulate the skin's renewal mechanisms. They are vital in keeping your skin plump, hydrated, and youthful, and in keeping your skin texture even. Ask anyone who gets it done regularly, they will tell you that facials are key to maintaining great complexion.
In addition, facials stimulate the renewal of collagen and cell turnover. This particularly aids in building collagen and elasticity over time. Facials benefit wrinkles, scarring, and improve the look of hyperpigmentation. For sensitive skin, soothing procedures can be administered to reduce redness, puffiness, and irritation.
End result? You get smooth, well-groomed, and radiant skin that you can be proud to wear. If you wear makeup, a smooth, even-toned skin will serve as an even, wonderful palette for a great application.
Why do facials work?
Day in and day out, oil builds up on our faces, whiteheads and blackheads (sometimes also called comedones) form, and the pores get clogged up – blame this to the pollution in the air we encounter during our daily commutes. With these, the skin inevitably feels gummy and thick to the touch. The more that the skin gets clogged, the harder for any skincare product to be able to penetrate the skin.
When you come in for a facial, the aesthetician cleans and exfoliates the skin to do away with all the congestion. This too will allow for the easier extraction of comedones. Afterwards, therapeutic and skin healing/calming products are applied to even out the complexion. Exfoliation helps clean dead skin layers away and relieve clogged pores.
What are the steps involved?
1. Consultation – First and foremost, your dermatologist or aesthetician needs to get to know your skin in order to enable him or her to give you the best options for your facial treatment. During a consultation, the aesthetician will ask about your health habits and skin type. You will most likely be asked about your water intake, medications, skincare products, skin concerns. Depending on your answers, different facial treatments will be suggested.
2. Cleansing – Once you have decided on what treatment you want to get, your skin will be cleaned up with a cotton, sponges, or wipes.
3. Skin Analysis - The professional will look at your skin closely with the use of a brightly-lit magnifying glass. He/she will analyze your complexion, skin's texture and strength. By doing an analysis, the aesthetician will determine your skin type (dry, oily, or a combination), and whether your skin has conditions like sun damage, dehydration, aging.
4. Steam - This will soften up any blackheads or whiteheads present on your skin and prep it for extraction. Most clinics use a machine that releases vapor on your face.
5. Exfoliation - Depending on your skin type, the aesthetician will suggest a chemical (uses a peeling agent like glycolic acid) or physical exfoliation (microdermabrasion, uses a machine to remove dead skin layers gradually by sanding and vacuuming). This helps open the pores, ready for the next step.
6. Extraction - At this stage, your skin is prepped for the removal of whiteheads and blackheads. Depending on your skin needs, the professional may use a medically sterilized extractor while removing plugs from the skin's pores.
7. Mask - After extraction, the aesthetician will apply a corrective mask for your skin type to deeply hydrate and plump the skin. This will be massaged onto your skin for deeper penetration and maximum hydration.
8. Moisturize - finally, your skin will be treated to a facial moisturizer and sunscreen that is ideal for your complexion.
You see, with facials, the skin looks better instantly. Your skin feels fantastic and your complexion glows because it has just received deep cleansing, hydration, and exfoliation, a welcome compensation for doing its job as your body's largest barrier and protection from the outside world.